Just like exercise!
I recently joined a CrossFit gym. One of the obvious benefits of joining are the intense workouts they design for you each and every day. But, arguably, the biggest benefit I have found is the power of engaging in an intense hour of exercise WITH others in the community trying just as hard as I am! We are dedicated (come each day), focused, disciplined, and all try to execute the movements the best we can!
I have always equated sourcing top talent with exercise!
I find it takes the same dedication, focus, discipline and commitment to execution to do it right and . . . is something that will often not get done unless you dedicate time for it.
With that said, how many people reading this have great intentions each day to “source” for critical to fill positions only to get side tracked by something else? Or, when they do get the “time”, they are not prepared and often struggle to focus on what is necessary to find and recruit the top talent?
If any of these statements ring true to you . . . my recommendation is to start a Sourcing Power Hour Community with your colleagues!
Some simple steps and guidelines for your Power Hour!
- BLOCK time off on your (and your peers) calendar for 1-5 Sourcing Power Hours each week (you can start slow then build up like exercise). We recommend starting early in the day like 7:30-8:30 or 8:00-9:00. This is a great time to catch people before they start their day! Plus, if this is something you don’t really like doing . . . Eat that Frog and get it done!
- Make a commitment to each other to put your phone on “Do Not Disturb” and shut down your email inbox (for one hour – - you can do it).
- Prior to the session, identify 25-50 people you would like to reach out to during the hour. (NOTE: this will probably require you to plan 1 hour the day prior to identify candidates you want to connect with).
- Warm up – Practice your verbal message, have your emails ready to go.
- Get in the right frame of mind. Do you BELIEVE a few of these 25-50 contacts will become hires?
- Enjoy the Power Hour of outbound outreach with candidates. And remember, you have great opportunities for great people!
- Review results with the team. How did you do? Did you set a personal record for # of contacts? Referrals? Outbound dials?
Every team I have worked with that has implemented the Sourcing Power Hour has seen significant improvements in candidate flow for critical to fill positions. Probably just as important, they feel better about themselves for conquering a “to-do” that sits on their list each and every day.
Try implementing this for the next 3 weeks and let me know how it goes.
I hope you are having a Perfect Week!