Question: Ever wonder how many recruiters are logged into Monster/CareerBuilder at any given time?
Answer : Hundreds of thousands!
Question: Ever wonder how many “hits” a quality candidate gets (in the first 48 hours) from recruiters after posting their resume online
Answer: 20-100 + +
Synopsis: While there are talented, active job seekers out there (contrary to what some “experts” might say), the competition for them can be as fierce as it is for those elusive “passive” candidates!
The minute a talented professional posts their resume, you can bet there are hundreds of recruiters, sourcers, competition, etc. ready to pounce on them! So what can you do to ensure you are making contact with the top job seekers?
Some practical advice on Harvesting Quality, Active Candidates:
Since quality talent will get 20-100+ hits from recruiters within 48 hours, it is critical to be identifying talent as they ‘hit the boards’.
- Set up automated search agents to drive candidates to you (NOTE: A key to this is ensuring you have the right key words set up to harvest talent effectively. If you don’t have the right key words, you will miss talent).
- Don’t rely on your search agent (NOTE: comment on keywords above). Each morning before 8 am (when your competition is getting in), review all resumes posted during the last 24 hours. Again, your ability to develop key word search strings that will identify all the potential candidates will be your key to success. If you want more info on this subject, contact me.
- Lastly, MAKE CONTACT WITH THEM. I know many recruiters who have search agents to drive candidate flow to them but. . . only get to them on a weekly basis.
These tactics will probably ensure that you are one of the top 5, 10 recruiters that are contacting them which is very important.
Think about it. If you just posted your resume online, what would you be feeling when you started getting responses? Probably pretty excited eh? How about the 83rd response from a recruiter? Maybe annoyed?
IT IS CRITICAL TO BE ONE OF THE FIRST TO CONTACT AN ACTIVE SEEKER!
Regardless whether a candidate is active/passive/unemployed . . . TOP TALENT IS IN DEMAND!
So what is your value proposition? Why would they want to talk to you? How is your message different from all the others?
As many of you know, the Art & Science of Engaging Top Talent has been a passion of mine for years. I spend a lot of time working with recruitment teams on perfecting this skill.
Some simple advice:
- Make sure your message is short, compelling and to the point (100 words or less).
- Make sure it answers the questions roaming through the candidates mind: “So What?” and “What’s in it for me?”
For more insight, check out this blog post I wrote on the subject.
Remember there are definitely talented active job seekers out there. But . . . you are not the only one trying to recruit them!
Ensuring you are one of the first recruiters to contact them with a compelling message and . . . the probability of engaging them will go up exponentially!